SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION ("SMC")
WEBSITE PRIVACY AND COOKIES POLICY
Our Sites may enable you to visit other websites, social network services or applications which are owned and operated by affiliates or partner companies to SMC, including our distributors. Those other websites, etc. will have their own privacy policies, and you should review those privacy policies when you visit websites, etc. operated by other companies, as those affiliates or partner companies will use your personal information as described in those policies.
In addition to this Policy, some products and services which are offered by SMC have their own privacy policies which describe in more detail how your personal information is used in a particular context.
1.What personal information will we use and for how long?
Personal Information We Use
When you use our Sites, we may request that you input certain information, for example when you fill in forms. The personal information requested will depend on the precise form, but will commonly include your name, postal address, telephone number and email address, among other information. In some circumstances, for example if you enter a promotion or competition, it may be necessary for you to provide some of this personal information in order for us to fulfil our obligations to you under the Terms and Conditions of the particular service.
We may collect personal information from sources other than directly from you. In particular we collect personal information from social media sites, for example if you post comments on our pages, 'like' any of our content or otherwise interact with us via social media (including by sending messages to us).
How long do we retain it?
We keep your personal information for as long as we need it to fulfil the purposes for which we collected it (described in more detail below) and to comply with applicable legal and regulatory obligations. In particular, when determining how long we retain personal data, we take into account how long we need it to:
- Maintain business records for analysis and/or audit purposes;
- Comply with record retention requirements under the law;
- Defend or bring any existing or potential legal claims; and
- Deal with any complaints regarding our Sites/any services provided in our Sites.
2.How do we use your personal information?
We use the personal information we collect from our Sites to:
- address your requests, for example to enter you into any promotions we run, or to respond to any queries you may have;
- comply with our legal and regulatory responsibilities, to respond to legal process or requests for information issued by government authorities or other third parties, to prevent and detect crime and fraud, or protect your, our or others’ rights; and
- operate our Sites and to understand how our Sites are used so that we can improve it.
We use your personal information for these purposes in some cases to meet our contractual obligations to you or other legal obligations. If the purposes set out above are not strictly required for compliance with a legal or contractual obligation, we process it to meet our legitimate business interests in managing our business properly and effectively and in keeping our records accurate and up to date. We take steps, including by securing your personal data, to ensure that we do not use your personal data for purposes which are incompatible with those set out above, and will notify you about any material changes to these purposes.
You can object to our uses of personal information on the basis of our legitimate business interests at any time by contacting us using the details set out below.
3.Cookies and Similar Technologies
What are Cookies?
A cookie is simply a piece of text, which can be placed on the browser of your personal computer or mobile device and subsequently read as you visit a website. Other Cookies may place a small amount of data on your browser, or may extract information about your device (such as your IP address) so that if you visit the site again using the same device we can identify you. A Cookie may be a 'session' Cookie, that is, a Cookie that remains on your device or browser while you are logged on to a particular web site and then disappears when you close your browser, or it may be a 'persistent' Cookie, a cookie that remains on your browser over a period of time. Information from a Cookie may be collected and used in aggregate form.
Some cookies are served directly by SMC, and others are served by third parties, such as by advertising and data analytics providers.
What Cookies do we use?
We use the following types of Cookies on our Sites:
|Type of Cookie||Example||What these Cookies do||How to exercise your Cookies choices|
|Essential for the use of the site||Google Tag Manager||Necessary for us to configure parts of our Sites without making wholesale changes and disruption to our Sites.||You can control and delete these Cookies through your browser settings. However if you choose to do so, then you will not be able to use the full functionality of the Online Services.|
|Analytics||Google Analytics||We use analytics cookies to collect information on how our Sites are used and to report on our Sites' usage statistics.||You can control and delete these Cookies through your browser settings.|
You can find information about advertising Cookies, including how to see what Cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them here.
|Social Media||Facebook and YouTube plugins||
Our Sites use plugins to allow you to connect to social networking sites including Facebook and YouTube. These connections are activated when you click on the logos of these services on our Sites.When you access our Sites with these plugins, they are provided directly by the owner of the plugin, not by us. When you access our Sites and are logged in to an account with the providers of those services, your personal information will be shared with those providers whether you interact with the plugin or not.
You can find information about social media Cookies, including how to see what Cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them here.Furthermore, to prevent your personal information from being accessed by the owners of these platforms, you can log out of your accounts before accessing our Sites.
Some of these Cookies are placed directly by us, and others are placed by third party companies, in particular the advertising and social media cookies described above. Those Cookies which are placed by third parties are subject to the privacy and cookies policies of the companies which place them, which you can find on their websites.
How can you exercise your Cookies choices?
You have the right to choose whether or not to accept Cookies. You should be aware that if you choose to refuse or remove Cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Sites.
Website (Browser) Opt-Out:
Most browsers accept Cookies by default. You may be able to change the settings to have your browser refuse certain Cookies or notify you before accepting Cookies. To do so, please follow the instructions provided by your browser which are usually located within the "Help", "Tools" or "Edit" facility. Some third parties also provide the ability to refuse their Cookies directly by clicking on an opt-out link, and we have tried to indicate where this is possible in the table above.
For further information about Cookies, including how to see what Cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu.
4. Who we share your personal information with
Your personal information may be disclosed to:
- Service providers. We engage companies to provide services on our behalf and which process personal data, which may include companies managing particular promotions available through our Site, data hosting companies, vendors that send emails on our behalf, analytics providers, and information technology providers;
- Members of our group companies and partner companies. Some members of our group companies and partner companies provide services on our behalf, or may be involved in processing personal data for the purpose set out above. A list of these companies is available here
- With your consent. We may share information with companies or other organisations where you have asked us to or agreed that we may share your personal information with them;
- Suzuki dealers, distributors and other partners. We share information with these third parties where necessary to provide you with a product or service;
- Professional advisors. This includes lawyers and auditors who assist us in running our business and defending or bringing any legal claims;
- Law enforcement agencies, courts, regulators, or government authorities. We may share your personal information with these parties where we believe this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party; or
- Asset purchasers. We may share your personal information with any third party that purchases, or to which we transfer, all or substantially all of our assets and business. Should such a sale or transfer occur, we will use reasonable efforts to try to ensure that the entity to which we transfer your personal information uses it in a manner that is consistent with this Policy.
5. Transferring your personal information internationally
SMC is located in Japan, so your personal information will be transferred to Japan, as well as to other countries outside your country of residence. These countries are not regarded by the European Commission as ensuring an adequate level of protection for personal information. To ensure your personal data is properly protected, we put in place appropriate safeguards (including contractual commitments) to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected. If you would like to know more about how SMC protects your personal information when it is transferred outside the EEA, or to obtain a copy of the safeguards we put in place to protect your personal information when it is transferred, please contact us using the contact details set out below.
6. Your rights
You have certain rights regarding your personal information, subject to local law. These include the following rights to:
- access your personal information
- rectify the information we hold about you
- erase your personal information
- restrict our use of your personal information
- object to our use of your personal information
- receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability)
- If you would like to discuss or exercise such rights, please contact us at the details below.
- We encourage you to contact us to update or correct your information if it changes or if the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate.
We will contact you if we need additional information from you in order to honour your requests.
We may modify or update this Policy from time to time. If we change this Policy, we will notify you of the changes. Where changes will have a fundamental impact on the nature of the processing or otherwise have a substantial impact on you, we will give you sufficient advance notice so that you have the opportunity to exercise your rights in relation to your personal information (for example, to object to the processing).
8. Contact Us
We are Suzuki Motor Corporation, with registered address at 300 Takatsuka-cho, Minami-ku, Hamamatsu-shi, Shizuoka-ken, Japan. You can also contact us at: email@example.com
You can contact our affiliates in the country in which you are located using their contact details here.
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy. If, however, you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you have the right to make a complaint to the data protection authority.