The Beauty of Naked Aggression
The GSX-S1000 launched in 2015 as a new model developed to bring the fun of sport riding to riders on the street.
At its heart was a street-tuned version of the powerful long-stroke engine that carried the GSX-R1000 to countless superbike and endurance race victories. This engine was skillfully paired with a compact and lightweight chassis, state-of-the-art running gear and a comfortable upright riding position.
Just as the GSX-R1000 was built to "own the racetrack", the GSX-S1000 was created to "own the street".
- Distinguished by its stacked LED headlight assembly topped by a single LED position light and bold, angular styling with MotoGP-inspired winglets, the GSX-S1000's aggressive naked sportbike stance speaks of power and performance potential.
- The 999cm³ GSX-R-based engine has more peak power with strong torque in the low- to mid-range that's smoothly controlled by Suzuki's Ride-by-Wire Electronic Throttle system for stimulating sportbike experience.
- The Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) includes the 3-mode Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (SDMS), the updated 5-mode Suzuki Traction Control System (STCS)* and the popular Easy Start and Low RPM Assist systems.
- The latest version of the Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) smooths shifting and engine braking, or gives your clutch hand a rest with the Bi-directional Quick Shift System.
- Upright streetfighter ergonomics, a twin-spar aluminum frame and adjustable KYB suspension deliver controlled handling while ABS-equipped** Brembo radial mount monobloc brake calipers with dual, floating brake rotors provide controlled stopping power.
- Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (SDMS) provides you with a choice of three different engine power output modes, (A, B, and C). All three deliver maximum engine output but provide different throttle response and torque characteristics when accelerating.
• Mode A (Active) is for active, sporty use that delivers the sharpest throttle response as you open the throttle. Mode A's torque characteristics are finely tuned to deliver exciting acceleration when hitting the throttle hard, such as when participating in track day events or enjoying a sporty run on clean, winding roads in good weather.
• Mode B (Basic) is for general, all-around riding, as it features softer throttle response and a more linear power delivery curve as you open the throttle. Settings are tuned to fit a wide range of riding styles and conditions, and to help make the bike more controllable in everyday riding situations.
• Mode C (Comfort) offers a softer throttle response and more gentle torque characteristics, with power increasing in a directly linear fashion as the throttle is opened. This mode is useful when riding on wet or slippery surfaces, or when you desire a relaxing, comfortable ride.
- The advanced Ride-by-Wire Electronic Throttle System leverages the capability of the 32-bit ECM and CAN-style wire harness to precisely control engine output relative to throttle action.
• This precision allows throttle body action to be tuned to best match each of the SDMS modes. The result is controllable, linear power delivery that responds faithfully to your intentions, whether commuting or enjoying a sporty ride on a winding road.
- The 5-mode Suzuki Traction Control System (STCS) continuously monitors front and rear wheel speed, engine RPM, throttle position and gear position to adjust engine output to prevent undesired rear wheel spin, helping maintain traction and power delivery to the road.
- The Bi-directional Quick Shift System is a distinctive standard-equipment feature that lets you shift up or down without operating the clutch lever. When activated, the system delivers clean, smooth upshifts with almost uninterrupted acceleration, and downshifts that are also quick and smooth.
- By helping maintain engine idle speed for smoother and easier starts, Low RPM Assist enables you operate and control the bike more easily in stop-and-go traffic.
- With the Suzuki Easy Start System, one quick press of a button lets you start the engine without pulling in the clutch lever. As a function used on every outing, Easy Start makes your riding experience all the more pleasurable and convenient.
- The GSX-S1000's long-stroke engine produces a broad, smooth torque curve through the full rev-range and features increased peak horsepower.
• The GSX-S1000 provides predictable and controllable throttle response with abundant top-end power to provide you with an exciting riding experience.
- The camshaft profiles decrease lift and valve overlap to improve emissions and balance the engine's performance and drivability to enhance rider control.
- Suzuki's legendary Twin Swirl Combustion Chamber (TSCC) design is machined into the cylinder head that, along with the flat-top pistons, achieves an optimal 12.2:1 compression ratio, helping to deliver a broad spread of power throughout the entire rev range.
- Aluminum pistons, engineered with use of Finite Element Method (FEM) analysis, are cast with optimal rigidity and weight.
• Ventilation holes between the cylinders reduce pumping loss within the crankcase so the engine can deliver more power and torque.
- Electronic throttle bodies contribute to smooth and controlled response, especially when you are applying the throttle to accelerate out of a corner.
• These Ride-by-Wire throttle bodies provide precise control for the Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (SDMS), Suzuki Traction Control System (STCS), and Bi-directional Quick Shift System.
• Long-nosed 10-hole fuel injectors on each throttle body improve fuel atomization, while the automatic Idle Speed Control (ISC) improves cold starting and stabilizes engine idle.
- The air cleaner adopts an internal structure that contributes to engine performance while maintaining the exciting intake sound for which the GSX-S1000 is renowned.
- The GSX-S1000's stainless steel, 4-2-1 exhaust system is completely redesigned and tuned while retaining the under-chassis design, sharp looks and exciting note of the prior generation's system.
• Behind the header pipes, the redesigned mid-chamber contains a second catalytic converter to help ensure emissions compliance, a low center of gravity, and good exhaust flow to help the engine deliver strong low- to mid-range punch and plenty of free-revving power through to high RPM.
- The Suzuki Exhaust Tuning (SET) valve manages flow from the mid-chamber into the sculpted muffler, with its pleasing appearance uncommon to under-chassis exhausts and its exciting, distinctive sound.
- The digital ignition fires iridium-type spark plugs that increase spark strength and combustion efficiency, contributing to higher power, more linear throttle response, easier engine start-up, and a more stable idle. These quality components also last longer than conventional spark plugs.
- The radiator shroud efficiently guides cooling air to the high-capacity curved radiator. A thermostatically controlled cooling fan helps ensure lower coolant temperatures when riding in slow moving traffic. The design also deflects hot air away from the rider at speed.
• A rotary sensor sends shifter movement data to the ECM, so the Bi-directional Quick Shift System precisely responds to your actions. This design provides precise shifting feeling at the shift lever and, because of its location on the engine, reduces the chance of damage if the bike is tipped over.
• The gearshift cam, shift shaft and clutch release cam were revised to support the function of the Bi-directional Quick Shift system.
- The latest version of the Suzuki Clutch Assist System (SCAS) clutch increases plate pressure under acceleration, yet acts as a slipper clutch to smooth engine response during engine braking and corner entry.
- The sturdy aluminum alloy swingarm comes straight from the GSX-R1000 and is ruggedly braced. This contributes to both great roadholding ability and great superbike looks.
- Connected to the swingarm is a link-type rear suspension, with a single shock absorber that features seven-way adjustable spring preload and rebound damping force adjustment.
- The 43mm inverted KYB forks offer a generous 120 mm of front wheel travel and adjustable spring preload, compression and rebound damping.
- Dunlop's SPORTMAX Roadsport 2 radial tires (120/70ZR17 front and 190/50ZR17 rear) are custom-engineered to perform optimally on the GSX-S1000 and provide great grip in dry or wet conditions, faster warm-up, and long tread life.
- Dual front brakes with fully floating 310mm discs and Brembo radial mount monobloc calipers with four 32mm opposed pistons provide strong and consistent stopping power.
- The GSX-S1000 features an upright riding position that maximizes comfort and control. This practical sport riding position is the result of a carefully crafted relationship between the handlebar, footrests, and seat.
• The matte black tapered aluminum handlebars contribute to the excellent riding ergonomics, with great vibration damping and performance-oriented style.
• The handlebars are 23 mm wider than on the prior generation model and rotated slightly upward to raise the grip height.
- The GSX-S1000's 19L fuel tank capacity reduces the frequency of gas stops while commuting or on long rides.
• The pillion seat is shaped to match the GSX-S1000's angular styling, while featuring a cushion with ample padding and a grab strap.
• Both seats are covered in a rugged, weather-resistant material that provides a good balance between grip and smooth movement.
- The styling is meant to convey an aggressive attitude.
• The radical design of the stacked LED headlight assembly and its minimalist cowling adds sharp lines that are inspired by the latest fighter jets.
• The fuel tank side cowling blends into the radiator shrouds that have angular winglets, reminiscent of the aerodynamic foils on Suzuki's World Champion MotoGP race bikes.
• The bike's compact nose pairs with the short, compact muffler design and slim design of the tail section to establish a clean, agile look that accentuates the muscular appearance of the engine and fuel tank.
• The result is a mass-forward image that emphasizes the GSX-S1000's aggressive stance and eagerness to perform.
• Straight, sharp lines create a modern design with eye-catching appeal.
• The lines and attention to detail, like the exposed metal finish of the front fork outer tubes and muffler, convey a look of high quality and premium status.
- The carbon fiber-like textured pattern strategically applied to the sides of the frame help your legs better grip the chassis and enhances the look of quality and high performance.
- A custom-designed ignition key sporting the GSX-S logo on the hilt aims to instill pride of ownership.
- The GSX-S1000's Computer Area Network (CAN) style wire harness enables the ECM to communicate directly with the multi-function instrument cluster. The capabilities it brings to the table help realize the inclusion of advanced control systems.
- The 32-bit ECM provides state-of-the-art engine management that contributes to the operation and optimization of the electrical and S.I.R.S. components.
- Using a high-visibility LCD display, the GSX-S1000's brightness-adjustable instrument cluster packs a wide range of useful information into a relatively compact module positioned at the center of the handlebars.
- The LCD readouts include:
• Speedometer and tachometer, odometer with twin tripmeters, gear position, fuel gauge, clock, battery voltage and service reminder.
• Specialized information includes real-time fuel consumption, average fuel consumption, riding range, and lap timer functions.
• S.I.R.S. related information includes the Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (SDMS) setting, Quick Shift (ON/OFF) and Traction Control mode.
- Suzuki's innovative multifunction handlebar switches are laid out to maximize operating ease and efficiency.
• You can use the mode/set switch on the left handlebar and LCD panel information to change Suzuki Intelligent Ride System (S.I.R.S.) settings.
- Supplied by Koito®, the independent, polygon-shaped, high- and low-beam headlights feature a mono-focus LED technology that shines light directly through a convex lens to brightly illuminate the road.
- The dual hexagonal shaped LED headlights are topped by a single LED position light that creates a clean face unlike that of any other motorcycle, and makes the bike clearly visible to pedestrians and other traffic. It's a light, nimble look that emphasizes the GSX-S1000's aggressive stance and eagerness to perform.
- A variety of Genuine Suzuki Accessories are available, such as a single seat cowl, meter visor (acts as a sport screen), billet clutch and brake levers, fuel tank and engine cover protectors stylish rider seat, plus a selection of GSX-S logo apparel.
* The Traction Control System is not a substitute for the rider's throttle control and traction control cannot prevent loss of traction due to excessive speed when entering turns, or while braking, and it does not control front wheel traction.
** ABS is not designed to shorten the braking distance. ABS cannot prevent wheel skidding caused by braking while cornering. Please ride carefully and do not overly rely on ABS
*Click the icons
|Overall Length||2,115 mm (83.3 in.)|
|Overall width||810 mm (31.9 in.)|
|Overall height||1,080 mm (42.5 in.)|
|Wheelbase||1,460 mm (57.5 in.)|
|Ground clearance||140 mm (5.5 in.)|
|Seat height||810 mm (31.9 in.)|
|Curb weight||214 kg (472 lbs.)|
|Engine type||4-stroke, 4-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC|
|Bore x stroke||73.4 mm x 59.0 mm (2.9 in. x 2.3 in.)|
|Engine displacement||999 cm³ (61.0 cu. in.)|
|Fuel system||Fuel injection|
|Lubrication system||Wet sump|
|Transmission||6-speed constant mesh|
|Front suspension||Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped|
|Rear suspension||Link type, coil spring, oil damped|
|Rake / trail||25° / 100 mm (3.9 in.)|
|Front brakes||Disc, twin|
|Front tire size||120/70ZR17M/C (58W), tubeless|
|Rear tire size||190/50ZR17M/C (73W), tubeless|
|Ignition system||Electronic ignition (transistorized)|
|Fuel tank capacity||19.0 L (5.0 / 4.2 US/lmp gal)|
|Oil capacity(overhaul)||3.4 L (3.6 / 3.0 US/lmp qt)|